OFDi is a budding NGO registered by the CAC Nigeria in response to the need to approach development of rural communities, particularly farmers,from a broader perspective and focuses on synergy in core mandate areas of agriculture, water, sanitation, and hygiene for sustainable development.
Program Officer, New Initiatives
OFDi, Okunland Farmers’ Development Initiative wishes to appoint an outstanding and talented individual who is passionate about rural development and is determined to make a difference to the position of Program Officer, New Initiatives.
The Program Officer will report to the Executive Director/ Chief Executive Officer and will manage the program by leading the implementation of its core programs as approved by the Board of Directors. S/he will be accountable for enhancing the national and global visibility of the organization; broadening the influence of OFDi; innovatively seeking grants from funders;and partnering with relevant stakeholders including farmers, farmers organization, organized private sector / civil society organizations, public sector, foundations and development institutions.
We are seeking an experienced professional with a thorough understanding and ability to engage in major agricultural, rural development,water, sanitation and hygiene initiatives at the community and national policy level, with the openness and sensitivity to facilitate the work of ethnically diverse clients, Area Development Officers and volunteers.
Okunland Farmers’ Development Initiative
Program Officer, New Initiatives
[Job Ref: ofdi/vacancy/po/2020]
General Description of the Position
- The Program Officer must have great technical depth and the ability to work with a team of experts to execute the development and design of new projects/initiatives.
- The Program Officer will provide guidance to the Area Development Officers and support the Board of Directors in finalizing the short and medium plans / program and projects of the organization. S/he will develop tools and reporting templates and enhance staff and users’ capacities to contribute to the system.
- The Program Officer will coordinate regular data collection and processing and the dissemination of information in collaboration with the technical staff, Area Development Officers / focal points, volunteers, and partners. S/he will ensure results are documented and all reports and documents are stored in a retrievable manner.
- S/he will support the preparation of work plans and reports, coordinate and participate in capacity building as well as undertake studies, technical evaluation,and initiatives.
- Work with the Executive Director to select and build up strong work teams;
- Assist in the day-to-day project implementation and overall coordination;
- Prepare grant proposals for projects / initiatives in core mandate areas of the organization;
- Prepare Business Plans, build human capacity and develop training and extension materials/ accessories for value chain actors (producers, processors, marketers, distributors, financial services), farmers organizations, and schools;
- Promote value chains for maize, millet, sorghum, soybean, rice, tomato, ginger, sweet potato, yam, cassava, cocoa, and making them accessible to value chain actors, research institutions and agricultural service providers (public and private) and create feedback mechanisms between them;
- Promote WASH and Agri-technology innovations by introducing and disseminating new technologies or spreading ideas, sharing existing technologies and practices;
- Build effective alliances with international NGOs, academia / researchers and civil society organization networks;
- Collaborate and partner with relevant stakeholders on Organized Private Sector in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (OPS-WASH) initiatives to end open defecation, promote safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene;
- Mobilise and support rural livelihoods approach to empower youth and artisans in sanitation facility maintenance/ skill acquisition for income generating activities [IGA];
- Produce and publish reports (monthly, quarterly and annual), briefings, and other relevant documents; and communicate evaluation results, achievements, success stories, and lessons learned;
- Develop strategies that ensure prudent use of the organization’s resources in our work with collaborators;
- Generate content from time to time to populate and update the OFDi website, Resource Centre and other platforms;
- Organize and participate in frequent progress meetings, ongoing learning and new initiative activities;
- Lead and coordinate consultants and research teams in the conduct of evaluations and surveys such as baseline, end-line, and other studies, and collaborate with consultants for any other evaluations and studies;
- Ensures that project activities and targets in core areas are executed according to plans for timely delivery and intervention;
- Facilitate finalization and publishing of the organization’s M&E Plan, development of Indicators reference sheets, baseline assessments and the definition of targets for each indicator;
- Train staff and selected stakeholders on the use of the M&E system and ensure knowledge transfer;
- Coordinate the designing of data collection tools and reporting templates;
- Coordinate the data collection process in collaboration with Area Development Officers,technical staff and other stakeholders;
- Conduct regular checks of data received from the field and ensure that such data is consistent with the requirements and needs for monitoring;
- Undertake data analysis and the consolidation of information;
- Establish and manage a database and a document storage system for transferring and storing data in line with acceptable reporting mechanism;
- Execute any other tasks linked with the aims and objectives of OFDi and with the responsibilities and capacities expected of a Program Officer.
Workplace and Functional Responsibilities
- The Program Officer will operate from the OFDi Headquarters at Odo-Eri, along Ilorin-Kabba Express Road, Yagba West,Kogi State and OFDi in the West Regional Office at Ibadan, Oyo State, and will cover all States in Nigeria.
- The Program Officer will develop functional working relationships with the Federal and State Ministries of Agriculture, Water Resources, Health, Education, Environment, Social and Economic Development, and Finance;foundations; Research Institutes;development institutions such as UNDP, UNICEF, USAID, World Bank, African Development Bank;civil society organizations; and the organized private sector.
- Graduate Degree in Project Design / Rural Development / Agricultural Extension / Economics/ Environmental Health / Health Promotion and or a related field such as Environmental Science,Geography,or International Development.Postgraduate degree will be an added advantage;
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in NGO works on a program or projects, preferably in agriculture and rural development, water, sanitation and hygiene, environmental policy, natural resources management, climate change, institutional support, policy development, or related fields;
- Excellent grant and proposal writing skills;
- Proven experience in quantitative and qualitative research and in conducting surveys and/or sampling,action-research;
- Computer literacy with strong knowledge in the use of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Proven networking, team building, organizational, advocacy,and communication skills;
- Excellent report writing skills;
- Experience in statistical software such as SPSS, and GIS tools (Arc View, Arc Info, Strata, GenStat).
- Experience in the use of mobile technology including SMS, SMART, as well as in web development, and the design or management of a monitoring database would be an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Mastery of Yoruba is required, and the ability to communicate in any other Nigerian language will be an asset.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application package to:OFDi Selection Board,email@example.com
To be considered, applicants must submit, within 6 weeks from the date of this advertisement, the following:
- A letter of application and Statement of Intent explaining the individual’s suitability for this opportunity[500 words].
- A current CV in reverse chronological format (most recent experience first).
- A list of 4 professional referees including their contact details (name, phone number, e-mail) and Statement of Relationship to the referee.
- Copies of relevant credentials and means of Identification such as NIN or National Drivers License.